Terms & Privacy
AS A VISITOR OR MEMBER OF ARE YOU JOINING BV, HERINAFTER REFERRED TO AS ‘JOINING’, YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH THE LEGALLY BINDING TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE AT HTTP://JOINING.COM (THE "SITE") AND THE SERVICES, FEATURES, CONTENT, APPLICATIONS OR WIDGETS OFFERED BY JOINING (COLLECTIVELY WITH THE SITE, THE "SERVICE").
By registering you agree that you are providing correct, accurate and true information, and that you have the legal competence to conclude such an agreement. Only individuals who are 16 years of age or older may register for Joining. By registering you agree to keep your registration information accurate and up-to-date. Failure to do so shall constitute a breach of these Terms and Conditions, which may result in immediate termination of your Joining account.
You shall not:
- use a first- and/or last name that is the name of another person with the intent to impersonate that person;
- use a first- and/or last name or Joining account that is subject to any rights of a person other than you without appropriate authorization;
- use a first – and/or last name that is a name that is otherwise offensive, vulgar or obscene or otherwise unlawful;
- provide any false personal information to Joining
All judgments concerning the applicability of these guidelines shall be at the sole and exclusive discretion of Joining. Joining reserves the right to refuse registration of, or cancel a User Account. You are solely responsible for ensuring that these Terms and Conditions are in compliance with all laws, rules and regulations applicable to you and the right to access the Service is revoked where these Terms and Conditions or use of the Service is prohibited and, in such circumstances, you agree not to use or access the Site or Services in any way.
You are solely responsible and liable for activity that occurs on your account and shall be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Joining password. You shall never use another user's account without such other user's prior expressed permission. You will immediately notify Joining in writing of any unauthorized use of your account, or other account related security breach of which you are aware.
All Content (this includes, without limitation, any location information, videos, audio clips, comments, information, data, text, photographs, software, scripts, graphics, and interactive features generated, provided, or otherwise made accessible by Joining on or through the Service. Content added, created, uploaded, submitted, distributed, or posted to the Service by users is collectively referred to as, "User Submissions."), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such Content. Joining cannot guarantee the authenticity of any Content or data, which users may provide about themselves. You acknowledge that all Content accessed by you using the Service is at your own risk and you will be solely responsible and liable for any damage or loss to you or any other party resulting therefrom. You acknowledge that Content contained on the Joining Website and within Joining email messages, and third party advertisements on the website and distributed via email, of a commercial nature and presented to you by Joining and the Services, are protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws. You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from the Joining Content or the third party Content without expressly being authorized to do so by Joining or the third party advertiser. You may make a copy of the Joining content or third party Content for your personal, noncommercial use only, providing that you keep all copyright or other proprietary notices intact.
Subject to these Terms and Conditions, Joining grants each user of the Site and/or Service a worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable and non-transferable license to use, modify and reproduce the Content, solely for personal, non-commercial use. Use, reproduction, modification, distribution or storage of any Content for other than personal, non-commercial use is expressly prohibited without prior written permission from Joining, or from the copyright holder identified in such Content's copyright notice, as applicable. You shall not sell, license, rent, or otherwise use or exploit any Content for commercial (whether or not for profit) use or in any way that violates any third party right.
We may use your User Submissions in a number of different ways in connection with the Site, Service and Joining’s business as Joining may determine in its sole discretion, including but not limited to, publicly displaying it, reformatting it, incorporating it into marketing materials, advertisements and other works, creating derivative works from it, promoting it, distributing it, and allowing other users to do the same in connection with their own websites, media platforms, and applications (“Third Party Media”). By submitting User Submissions on the Site or otherwise through the Service, you hereby do and shall grant Joining a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid, sublicensable and transferable license to use, copy, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit the User Submissions in connection with the Site, the Service and Joining’s (and its successors and assigns') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Site (and derivative works thereof) or the Service in any media formats and through any media channels (including, without limitation, third party websites and feeds). You also hereby do and shall grant each user of the Site and/or the Service, including Third Party Media, a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Site and the Service, and to use, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions in connection with their use of the Site, Service and Third Party Media. For clarity, the foregoing license grant to Joining does not affect your other ownership or license rights in your User Submission(s), including the right to grant additional licenses to the material in your User Submission(s), unless otherwise agreed in writing with Joining.
You represent and warrant that you have all rights to grant such license to us without infringement or violation of any third party rights, including without limitation, any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
You understand that all information publicly posted or privately transmitted through the Service is the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated; that Joining will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any Content; and that Joining cannot guarantee the identity of any other users with whom you may interact in the course of using the Service.
When you delete your User Submissions, they will be removed from the Service. However, you understand that any removed User Submissions may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but following removal will not be shared with others) or may remain with users who have previously accessed or downloaded your User Submissions.
Use of the services by you is subject to all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations. Joining reserves the right, but does not assume any obligation, to monitor the Services to enforce this Agreement. Upon learning of any violation of this Agreement, Joining, at its sole discretion, may terminate your access to and use of the Services, require you to remedy such violation, and/or take any other actions that Joining deems appropriate to enforce its rights and pursue all available remedies. At all times, you are responsible for all of your activity in connection with the Service.
Joining does not guarantee that any Content or User Submissions will be made available on the Site or through the Service. Joining has no obligation to monitor the Site, Service, Content, or User Submissions. However, Joining reserves the right to (i) remove, suspend, edit or modify any Content in its sole discretion, including without limitation any User Submissions at any time, without notice to you and for any reason (including, but not limited to, upon receipt of claims or allegations from third parties or authorities relating to such Content or if Joining is concerned that you may have violated these Terms and Conditions), or for no reason at all and (ii) to remove, suspend or block any User Submissions from the Service. Joining also reserves the right to access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as Joining reasonably believes is necessary to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (ii) enforce these Terms and Conditions, including investigation of potential violations hereof, (iii) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (iv) respond to user support requests, or (v) protect the rights, property or safety of Joining, its users and the public.
Joining cannot and does not guarantee that the Service will function uninterruptedly and without errors. Joining does not give any guarantees neither about the results of using the Service, nor about the reliability or correctness of the information that can be found. The Service is provided by Joining on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis and is provided without any representations or warranties of any kind.
Joining doesn’t give any guarantee about the functionality of the site, the information, the content, the materials or the products that are presented on the site. To the extent allowed by law, Joining rejects any guarantee, explicit or implicit, including but not restricted to implicit saleability and suitability for a particular cause.
Joining cannot be held responsible for any kind of damage resulting from the use of the Service, including but not restricted to direct or indirect damage.
The Service may permit you to link to other websites, services or resources on the Internet, and other websites, services or resources may contain links to the Site. When you access third party websites, you do so at your own risk. These other websites are not under Joining's control, and you acknowledge that Joining is not responsible or liable for the content, functions, accuracy, legality, appropriateness or any other aspect of such websites or resources. The inclusion of any such link does not imply endorsement by Joining or any association with its operators. You further acknowledge and agree that Joining shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such Content, goods or services available on or through any such website or resource.
You agree to indemnify and hold Joining, its subsidiaries, affiliates, successor, assigns, directors, officers, agents, employees, service providers, and suppliers harmless from any dispute which may arise from a breach of terms of this Agreement. You agree to hold Joining harmless from any claims and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees and court costs, related to your violation of this Agreement.
Under no circumstances shall Joining be liable on account of your use or misuse of the Joining Site or the Services, whether damages arise.
Joining may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, which may result in the forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with your membership. If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission. If you wish to terminate your account, you may do so by following the instructions on the Site. Any fees paid hereunder are non-refundable. All provisions of these Terms and Conditions, which by their nature should survive termination, shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
Save to the extent required by law, Joining has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that Joining has no control over, and no duty to take any action regarding: which users gain access to the Service; what Content you access via the Service; what effects the Content may have on you; how you may interpret or use the Content; or what actions you may take as a result of having been exposed to the Content.
You release us from all liability relating to your connections and relationships with other users. You understand that we do not, in any way, screen users, nor do we inquire into the backgrounds of users or attempt to verify their backgrounds or statements. We make no representations or warranties as to the conduct of users or the veracity of any information users provide. In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever, whether direct, indirect, general, special, compensatory, consequential, and/or incidental, arising out of or relating to the conduct of you or anyone else in connection with the Services, including, without limitation, bodily injury, emotional distress, and any damages resulting in any way from communications or meetings with users or persons you may otherwise meet through the Services. As such, you agree to take reasonable precautions and exercise the utmost personal care in all interactions with any individual you come into contact with through the Services, particularly if you decide to meet such individuals in person. For example, you should not, under any circumstances, provide your financial information (e.g., credit card or bank account numbers) to other individuals.
The use of Joining website and services shall be governed by the Dutch laws. In case of dispute concerning the use of the website and/or services the courts located within Rotterdam have jurisdiction.
Joining reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any of these Terms and Conditions, or change, suspend, or discontinue the Service (including without limitation, the availability of any feature, database, or content) at any time by posting a notice on the Site or by sending you notice through the Service or via email. Joining may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Service without notice or liability. It is your responsibility to check these Terms and Conditions periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Service following the posting of any changes to these Terms and Conditions constitutes acceptance of those changes.
You may contact Joining at the following address: Van Vollenhovenstraat 27, 3016 BG Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Effective Date: July 1st, 2012
- Personal Information you provide to us: All users start using Joining’s Service by registering on the Joining Site. When registering, users allow Joining to use the personally identifiable information from the users Facebook account, which includes their basic information (first and last name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends), email address, profile info (activities, birthday, interests and location) and other personal information. We receive and store any information you enter on our Service or provide to us in any other way. We receive your location when you use the Service and explicitly allow sharing your location with us. The Personal Information you provide is used for such purposes as allowing you to set up a user account and profile that can be used to interact with other users through the Service, improving the content of the Service, customizing the advertising and content you see, and communicating with you about specials and new features. We may also draw upon this Personal Information in order to adapt the Services of our community to your needs, to research the effectiveness of our network and Services, and to develop new tools for the community.
- Information collected automatically: When you use the Service, Joining automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser or mobile platform, including your location, IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested. We treat this data as non-Personal Information, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. Joining only uses this data in aggregate form. We may provide aggregate information to our partners about how our users, collectively, use our Site, so that our partners may also understand how often people use their services and our Service.
All personal information collected by Joining in connection with your use of the Service, including, without limitation, your name, location, email address, messages, activities, ip addresses and other data, will be stored by Joining indefinitely in a safe and secure manner.
One of the primary reasons people use Joining is to find other people to do social activities together. Therefore, the following information will be shared with everyone by default:
- Profile Information, including profile picture, name, age (optional), gender, city, country, link to facebook public profile, about me (optional), interests, planned activities (only including upcoming public activities and / or private activities in which the user viewing the profile has been invited to), number of friends and recommendations received (including profile picture, name and age (optional) of the user who has recommended)
- Public Activity Information (without specific people criteria selected), including title, number of spots left, city-level location, activity, date and time, duration (optional), activity details, comments, users who are joining the activity (including profile picture, name and age (optional)
When you invite someone for an activity, the invited user will be able to see:
- Public or Private Activity Information, including title, number of spots left, specific location, activity, date and time, duration (optional), activity details, comments, users who are joining the activity (including profile picture, name and age (optional), other users who have been invited for the activity (including profile picture, name and age (optional)
When you organize a public activity and another user joins your activity, this user will be able to see:
- Public Activity information, including title, number of spots left, specific location, activity, date and time, duration (optional), activity details, comments, users who are joining the activity (including profile picture, name and age (optional)
When you have selected specific people criteria, those users who fit these criteria will be able to see:
- Public Activity Information, including title, number of spots left, city-level location, activity, date and time, duration (optional), activity details, comments, users who are joining the activity (including profile picture, name and age (optional)
Joining uses the information received about you in connection with the services Joining provides to you, your friends, our partners, the advertisers, the developers etc. Joining may use the information about you:
- For internal operations;
- To protect Joining’s or others’ rights or property;
- To keep Joining’s products safe and secure;
- To provide you with location features and services;
- To make suggestions to you and other users on the Site.
Joining will never share information Joining receives about you unless:
- We have given you notice, like telling you about in this policy;
- We receive your permission;
- We made the information about you totally anonymous by removing your name and other personally identifying information from it.
We may also release information received about you when we believe in good faith that release is necessary to comply with the law, including laws outside your country of residence; enforce or apply our conditions of use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Joining, our employees, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations (including outside of your country of residence) for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Keep in mind that Joining cannot control what information others share about you.
If Joining or substantially all of its assets are acquired, or in the unlikely event that Joining goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our Site are visited and by how many people. Joining cookies do not collect Personal Information, and we do not combine the general information collected through cookies with other Personal Information to tell us who you are or what your email address is.
- Use of Session Cookies: by using session cookies Joining is able to see which parts of the website our users visit on our Site. In this way, we are able to customize our Service as much as possible to the (online) behavior of our users. These cookies will be automatically deleted from your computer when you close your web browser.
- Use of Google Analytics: through our Site a cookie is placed by the U.S. company Google, as part of their "Analytics" service. We use this service to track and get reports on how visitors use our Site. Google may share this information with third parties if Google is legally required, or if third parties process the information on Google's behalf. We have no influence on this. We have not allowed Google to use the obtained analytical information for any other Google services. The information Google collects will be made anonymous as much as possible. Your IP address is not given explicitly. The information is transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google adheres to the Safe Harbor principles and is affiliated to the Safe Harbor program of the U.S. Department of Commerce. This means that there is an adequate level of protection for the processing of personal data, if any
Most browsers have an option for turning off the cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as allowing you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways.
Joining is trying to do everything to ensure a reliable Service where users can safely join each other for social activities. Some of the measures taken by Joining are listed below:
- Login via Facebook (only)
- Minimum age of 16 years
- Option to block users
- Option to recommend users
- Option to report activities
- Limitations to the modification of Personal Information
Your Joining account Personal Information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You need to prevent unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately, and limiting access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
Joining endeavors to safeguard user information to ensure that user account information is kept private. However, Joining cannot guarantee the security of user account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
Joining allows you to access the following information about you for the purpose of viewing, and in certain situations, updating that information and ensuring that it is accurate and complete. You can access this information on the Joining website by visiting the user edit profile page (birthday, gender, location, about me, interests). This list will change as our Service changes.
Some information (first name, last name, profile picture, email address, list of friends) is directly linked to the users’ Facebook Account and cannot be adjusted within Joining – any change made to this information in Facebook will automatically be updated in the users’ Joining Profile (in order for those changes to come into effect immediately, login again into our Service may be required).
Should you ever decide to delete your Joining account, you may do so by clicking on the "remove account" button on your settings page. If you terminate your account, your profile, including your activities, your User Submissions (as defined in Joining's Terms and Conditions) and any promotional offers you received, will be removed from the Site and deleted from Joining's servers. Because of the way we maintain Joining, such deletion may not be immediate, and residual copies of your profile information or posts may remain on backup media for up to ninety (90) days.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy using the Service, please send a detailed message to: email@example.com. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
Effective Date: July 1st, 2012